Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Our Rainbow Baby!

Penelope’s Birth Story {Our Rainbow Baby}
Penelope's birthday was 12/10/2014 (36 weeks, 6 days), but the story of her birth actually begins two days before. It was Monday evening and I suspected my water was leaking, but wasn't quite sure since it wasn't the "gush" that you normally imagine. I decided to wait it out and try to sleep before calling my midwife or taking further action. Contractions started around 9pm and were slightly stronger than the Braxton Hicks ones I had been experiencing, making it difficult to sleep through the night. Early Tuesday morning I had more leaking and at this point was almost certain that it was my water, so I called the midwife and was told to come into the office for further examination. At the appointment she confirmed my suspicion and told us we would be having a baby in the next 24-48 hours. I was given the option to go home for a while and try to get real labor started before heading to the hospital, and I gladly accepted. Once home, I started layering clary sage and myrrh essential oils on uterine pressure points, rocked on my birth ball, and tried nipple stimulation with the breast pump. We let our families know that Penelope's birth was happening sooner than we anticipated and the news was met with excitement! My midwife called twice to check on my progression and during the second call told me that I needed to head over to L&D to be monitored overnight. At 7:30pm I checked into the hospital, and soon after we were taken to the labor and delivery room.
Once settled in Jessica, my doula, suggested I try some positions to help get things moving along. I also continued to apply clary sage and myrrh essential oils to my lower stomach and pressure points (and did so through the duration of my labor). While I did those things, she hung my prayer/affirmation flags and Christmas lights to help set a peaceful mood. It wasn’t long before my midwife came in to check on my progression. She finished breaking my water and told me that I could labor on my own overnight and we would reassess in the morning, assuming the intermittent fetal monitoring and my temperature both remained normal (it did!). I tried to settle down to rest around 11pm, but sleep was elusive. This was mostly because my contractions were coming every 5-7 minutes and my nurse was in every 30 minutes to check vitals, but I think excitement played a part too. Before things got too intense, I decided to review comfort measures Tim and I learned during our Natural Childbirth class and organize my essential oils for easy access when they were needed. This, along with prayer, really helped me get into a positive mindset and further prepare myself for the birth I had been imagining throughout this pregnancy. By 6am contractions were still coming regularly, but they still hadn’t increased in intensity very much. At this point I asked Lauren (also a doula) to come until Jessica was able to return (she had to leave to take a final exam). Lauren promptly began massaging the pressure points on my hands and ankles and rolled out any tension I had in my back with a massager. My mom also came by to check on things and offer her love and support to both Tim and me.
My midwife returned around 8am and did a cervical exam. I had only dilated to 3cm, but I was about 90% effaced and Penelope had dropped as low as she could get at this point (+1 station) and had turned to the optimal face down position. She was now eager to get active labor started and pushed for Pitocin. I reluctantly agreed and the IV was placed. The whole Pitocin thing really got into my head because I had read and been told that Pitocin contractions are way more intense than natural contractions and it almost always leads to other interventions (such as epidural). Even so, I was determined to birth naturally. I took a minute to calm myself down and made the conscious decision to push any negative thoughts away. After about an hour, labor picked up in intensity and I had to begin focusing and concentrating through each contraction. This is when my birth team really rocked at creating a peaceful atmosphere! Tim, Jessica, my mom, and my L&D Nurse (Melissa) were eager to assist when asked and often times anticipated my needs without any request. The most helpful things to me during this time were diffusing a grounding blend of essential oils (my favorite!), rocking on the birth ball, listening to music (I began with Christmas and later changed to a more hippy/primal new age mix), and knowing that I was surrounded by people who loved and cared about me.
A few hours later I started feeling nauseated and began shaking. I had learned that these were signs of transition, but didn’t want to get my hopes up because it seemed too soon! Using peppermint essential oil quickly helped with the nausea and at this point I got in the shower to help get through the contractions that were now coming with more intensity and frequency. I noticed that I was moaning through each contraction and making those low “ahhh” sounds really helped me visualize my cervix opening! Not long after getting out of the shower, I started feeling the urge to push. I let everyone know and felt the energy of the room change! Penelope was going to arrive soon and I couldn’t wait to meet her! My midwife came in about 30 minutes later and performed my last cervical check. I was 100% effaced and 9cm… this was happening soon and I was ready! I alternated between three positions while pushing (hands and knees, squatting, and on my side) and liked each one for different reasons. Squatting felt the most effective, but it used a lot of energy so I didn’t do that for long. Hands and knees was probably my favorite because I was able to hold Tim’s hands (They pulled the bed away from the wall and he was standing behind it) and I could easily sip water or labor-aid between each contraction. I ended up on my side in a semi-reclined position and Melissa applied essential oils to help support my perineum while my midwife coached my pushing. 
Penelope Kate Benham was born at 1:43pm. She was immediately placed on my chest and was nursing within minutes. Tim and I marveled at her and thanked God for her safe and perfect arrival! Tim was able to cut the cord and I delivered the placenta. I found out that I only had a super tiny tear. It was on a blood vessel and after attempting to stop the bleeding unsuccessfully with Helichrysum essential oil and silver nitrate, I only ended up needing one stitch! Penelope stayed on my chest for about an hour and a half before she was taken to be weighed (5 lbs 9 oz) and measured (20 inches).
 Even though things didn’t go exactly how I imagined (augmenting labor with Pitocin and not being able to have a water birth because Penelope was premature), I couldn’t have been happier with this birth and really wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. It was truly a perfect experience! I am still in awe of what God created my body to do and the fact that I was able to birth naturally. I am so proud of myself and beyond thankful for my birth team!












Photos taken by Jessica Pace: A Mother's Pace Doula Service

1 comment: