Sunday, June 16, 2013

Green Cleaning!

In an effort to use safer cleaning products around the house, I have been making my own versions as I run out of the store bought/conventional products I have on hand. The homemade versions are generally much safer AND they clean & disinfect just as well, if not better than their chemical laden counterparts!

I have been tweaking my go-to recipe for an all purpose cleaner over the past couple of months and have come up with a mixture that I love using for all of my cleaning needs.. really!

Drumroll please.......

The recipe:
3  cups of hot water
2 Tbsp Borax* (disinfectant and bug repellant that is safe for pipes and septic systems)
4 Tbsp vinegar (the acidity in vinegar helps kill germs and reduce microbial growth, a safe cleaning product!)
10-15 drops of lemon or Tea Tree  essential oil (I used lemon for the fresh scent and it's antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Tea Tree, or Melaleuca, is a powerful antibacterial and anti fungal, making it a great addition to your cleaning supplies as well)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a spray bottle and store out of direct sunlight.
*Important* make sure you label your containers/spray bottles!!!

Give the bottle a little shake before each use and you have an environmentally friendly, inexpensive, and safer cleaning solution that's works!

*Although Borax is an all natural product(sodium tetraborate, a naturally occurring mineral), use caution when handling. It is an eye irritant and can be harmful if ingested.


No comments:

Post a Comment