Thursday, April 17, 2014

Essential Oils: Day 5 (Go-To Recipes and Testimonies)


I am sure some of you that have been following this little series are still skeptical about oils for one reason or another. The best way to convert from skeptic to believer is to just try essential oils, I mean, what do you have to lose?! When I first introduced them in our home, Tim and I were both a little hesitant to believe all of the claims and success stories we were finding, but using the oils really made us believers and eventually led us to become wellness advocates! The best thing about using them is that they are natural, pure, effective, and don't come with  long lists of possible side effects or drug interactions when used in a safe manner*. Check out just a few personal (anonymous) testimonies that I have received from close friends via text and messages....

"I have been using [Lavender and Serenity Blend] for three nights and have slept great. I am actually researching, as we speak, other uses and different types of oils."

"Ok, so when I got home from church I hopped in the bath (because I have the terrible restless leg thing) and then covered myself in oils, lol-I had THE best nap!! And I fell asleep quick!! Going to use them again tonight!!"

"Last night I put the muscle rub on ____'s back- he has chronic back pain that never goes away- within 10 minutes he rolled over and said "what the heck? My back doesn't hurt! He was pretty shocked and so was I because he complains every night!" 

"My husband took some OnGuard Protective Blend with him to work because he felt like he was coming down with something. After ingesting a few drops every hour or so, the symptoms were gone by the end of the day! "

I am going to close out this Essential Oil Series with some of my favorite DIY recipes to use around the house :)

Personal Wellness
  • Whipped Body Butter: There are several versions of this floating around, but I wanted some quick and simple without a  lot of fuss. I melt about 2 parts Coconut oil to one part Shea Butter, let cool/harden add 10-15 drops of EO (I like using lavender and frankincense to help soothe rough, chapped skin) per cup of oil and whip using a mixer. store it in a glass container and enjoy. *these oils melt when exposed to very warm temperatures. if that happens, no worries! Just pop the jar in the refrigerator and it will re-harden. You  can also add beeswax, vitamin e oil, olive oil, etc. Experiment and make it your own!
  • Sugar Scrub: for 1 cup of scrub, I use approx. 1/2-2/3 cup of sugar (white or brown) and add about a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (I usually use a mix of coconut oil or fractionated coconut oil and olive oil, but anything will work). and 10-15 drops of EO. Get creative! Some EO ideas to get you started..... lavender/lemon, ginger/lime, rosemary/peppermint, ylang ylang/ sandalwood....the options are endless and customizeable to your unique taste!
  • Facial Cleanser:   Mix together 2 Tbsp Vegetable Glycerine, 4Tbsp Liquid Castile Soap, 1 Tbsp Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, 1 Drop each of rosemary, melaleuca, peppermint, and lavender. Store in a plastic or glass bottle.
  • Moisturizer: 3 drops each of frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, geranium, lavender,  melaleuca, and cedarwood in a 10ml dropper bottle. Fill to the top with jojoba oil or your choice of carrier oil.. Note* The melaleuca and cedarwood are to help acne prone skin and the others are great for general anti-aging and all around good skin.

Cleaning/Around The house
  • All Purpose Cleaner: 3 cups of water, 4 Tbsp Vinegar, 3 Tbsp Borax (optional), and 10-20 drops of a disinfecting EO (OnGuard, lemon, Purify, melaleuca, lime, cinnamon, thyme, peppermint...)
  • Room freshner/ carpet deodorizer: Add 20-30 drops of oil to a cup of baking soda. mix together and leave in a room or sprinkLe on carpet before vacuuming. (EO's to consider: Purify,peppermint, clary sage, patchouli, lavender, geranium, melaleuca, eucalyptus).
  • Window/Mirror spray: add 1-2 drops of disinfecting EO (lemon) to 1 tsp Vinegar in a 1oz. spray bottle, fill the remainder with water. shake and spray, using cloth or newspaper to wipe off. 
  • Room/Linen Spray: Mix 5-6 drops of a soothing EO or blend (lavender, serenity, roman chamomile, vetiver, sandalwood, etc...) with 1oz of water in a spray bottle. Spray pillows, sheets, curtains, blankets, or into the air. 
Thank you for sticking with me this week and being part of my very first series! It was so much fun to do and I am so thankful for you, my readers!!!

Heather

Websites to visit for more information:
www. everythingessential.me
www.aromaticscience.com
www.oilsmentor.com
www.doterrauniversity.com
www.doterrablog.com
www.doterraeveryday.com

Disclaimer: This series has been written to provide information and to help educate others. This information was not provided to diagnose, proscribe, or treat any disease, illness, or injured condition of the body. The information present should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling and anyone suffering from a disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified healthcare professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment