Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Essential Oils: Part Four (My Top 10)


Yeah, so remember that part in last night's post where I promised to share my top 10 personal favorite EO's? I must have been delirious from lack of sleep because it has been near impossible to only pick 10 favorites! This may have something to do with the fact that Tim and I have consistently good results when we use the oils in our ever growing collection, and discovering that there truly is an oil for everything. Alas, here is my current list of top 10 EO's and their most common uses. These lists are most definitely not complete and is largely compiled from the EO's I find to be the most versatile (in other words, they get plenty of use around our house).

Lavender:  This is one that gets use every. single. day. around our house and should really be considered to have super powers.  It is a gentile oil that is generally safe for everyone (even the littles) to use aromatically, topically, and internally. Lavender is a natural antihistamine (which comes in handy this time of year), and is commonly used for health concerns such as: allergy relief, relaxation/sleep aid, anxiety, bug bites/stings, burns, diaper rash, dry/fragile hair and hair loss, poison ivy/oak, rashes, seizures, dry skin, sunburn, teething pain, vertigo, wounds, and so much more!

Lemon: Rather than using the actual fruit, this EO is collected from the rind (as with all the citrus oils) and can be used aromatically, topically, and internally. With lemon's anticancer, antidepressant, antiseptic, antifungal, antioxident, astringent, and invigorating properties, it is great for purification, bite/stings, blood pressure regulation, colds, disinfecting, aiding with digestion, stress, throat infections, furniture polish, getting gum/stickiness removal, grief/sorrow, and heartburn.

Peppermint: Not only does it smell cool, invigorating, and refreshing, peppermint EO has several impressive uses including: headache relief, fever reduction, digestive support, heartburn relief, memory support, motion sickness, muscle aches, breath freshener, ulcers, and varicose veins.

Side note..... Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint are the first the EO's I started out with as part of a small intro kit and I quickly realized why they were suggested. These three EO's totally rock! If you are overwhelmed with where to begin, I highly recommend you starting with these. I have been continuously finding new ways to use them, even with over a year of use. doTERRA has posted 101 uses for these three oils & you'll find them here. Seriously, check it out... there are some really great tips there :)

Got it? Ok! Were moving on.... with the remaining 7 oils, I am going to briefly share how I use each one.

Frankincense: To me, frankincense has a very "regal" smell. Maybe it is the connection of frankincense with Jesus, but I feel like I am having a religious experience each time I use it. This is a wonderful oil to use for skin concerns and migraines. In addition, the recognized rule is "When in doubt, use Frankincense!"

Clary Sage: This is my go to for PMS symptoms. It helps relieve my abdominal cramps and balances out my moodiness. This makes Tim a happier husband when dealing with me during "that time of the month". It's awesome!

Melaleuca: You are probably familiar with the more common name of  Tea Tree Oil. I take advantage of the antibacterial properties by including this one in my deodorant. I have also had great success using it to help soothe a sore throat.

The remaining four EO's I am going to share are actually proprietary blends created exclusively by doTERRA.

Balance: Recommended for aromatic or topical use, it is a grounding blend I use to help calm anxiety and improve my mood. I especially like using it first thing in the morning to help put me in a positive mindset & shape my mood for the day.

Elevation: This joyful blend smells like sunshine in a bottle and is usually my go-to for use in the diffuser for an uplifting and invigorating citrus-y boost.

DigestZen: This one works wonders for the digestive system when used topically or internally. It relieves indigestion, and surprisingly, helps relieve a stuffy nose.

OnGuard: The EO's present in this protective blend work to support your immune system. Personally, when I have felt any hint of sickness coming on and used this blend, I felt better within a few hours with no return of symptoms.

Wow, have I already listed ten?!? Let's pick this back up tomorrow with a few of my go-to recipes for some specific health concerns, followed by a handful of personal testimonies.

Please keep in mind that the above statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure anything. I am not a doctor, just a girl who is passionate about educating myself and others about natural alternatives available to us by God's amazing creation.

Interested in trying oils for yourself? I have added a link to my personal doTERRA page at the top of the blog, and will be happy to chat more with you about products, how to get wholesale pricing and even earn free oils, and/or the business opportunity. Email me at crunchylikegranola@gmail.com to get the conversation started. It would be my pleasure to help you and your family take the steps to a more natural and healthy lifestyle.

Sources:
I gathered the information shared from Modern Essentials: A Complete Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils,  Fourth Edition and from the web at: www.everythingessential.me

Disclaimer: This series has been written to provide information and to help educate others. This information was not provided to diagnose, proscribe, or treat any disease, illness, or injured condition of the body. The information present should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling and anyone suffering from a disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified healthcare professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment