Sunday, April 13, 2014

Essential Oils: Part One

An out of town friend suggested that I write a blog series about essential oils since she, and others, have not been able to attend my scheduled classes. I am taking advantage of this and sharing my knowledge of oily goodness with you!

So here goes... Five posts in five days! My very first series! Eek! 

I would like to begin by stating that I am not a doctor and what I am sharing should not be used as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. Basically, use your common sense! Now that that's out of the way...

Background: 
I began using essential oils on a regular basis last spring (2013) at the beginning of my crunchy journey. This was largely my first experience with essential oils (aside from some low quality tea tree oil I tried in high school to help with acne). The more I researched and read, the more excited I became at the thought that I could use essential oils in place of many common household and hygiene products! The possibilities seemed endless, but reliable information on safety and usage was hard to find. Since then I have spent hours finding and compiling the best information to share with you.

First thing's first:
What is an essential oil?  They are the volatile liquids found in the stems, seeds, bark, roots, fowers and other parts of plants. The oil is usually a result from a steam distillation process. This yields a highly concentrated and fragrant compound. 

Sound too textbook-ish? I thought so, but don't worry, it does get better! 

Here the part where individual preference happens... The brand you choose. At this point, I should probably let y'all know that I am a wellness advocate (consultant) with doTERRA. It took a year of research and using a variety of oils to make this decision. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and no matter what brand you choose, I am thrilled that you are trying alternative health solutions! 

Tomorrow, I will share things to consider when choosing a brand of essential oils to use and why quality matters. 






No comments:

Post a Comment